Saturday, July 5, 2008

The Audacity of Hype

Am a an idiot for having the audacity to hope that Barack Obama was a different kind of politician. He certainly had me going for awhile.

The New York Times wrote today:
"The new Barack Obama has abandoned his vow to filibuster an electronic wiretapping bill if it includes an immunity clause for telecommunications companies that amounts to a sanctioned cover-up of Mr. Bush’s unlawful eavesdropping after 9/11."

I began this primary season as a Ron Paul supporter, but after McCain grabbed the nom early on I reluctantly switched to Obama and even voted for him in the Texas Democratic primary and caucus.

The campaign finance flop didn't really bother me all that much, though it did bring his integrity into question. It would have been a foolish maneuver for Obama to accept public financing given his ability to raise money on the web.

His flip-flop on FISA however is a deal-breaker for me. If he refuses to come out against FISA I will refuse to vote for him in the general election. Not to say I would cross-over and vote for McCain, who is even worse. I can't vote for Bob Barr either due to his voting track record.

If only I was old enough to write myself in.


No comments: