Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Kudos to Lloyd Doggett for Voting NO on FISA

I received the following email from Congressman Lloyd, the house rep. for Texas' 25th congressional district. Keep up the good work Congressman.

June 25, 2008

Dear Cooper:

Thank you for expressing your concerns about amending the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA). I agree. Last week, I voted against the alleged "compromise," which I believe grants the Administration most of what they wanted including effective immunity for telecommunication companies that helped in conducting unauthorized surveillance.

While some of my colleagues point to some of the improvements that were made in this FISA legislation - such as a provision reaffirming that FISA is the exclusive means by which foreign intelligence surveillance may be conducted in the United States -- such improvements are nothing that cannot be undone by a Presidential signing statement and they certainly do not balance out the negative aspects of the bill.

Over my opposition, this measure was approved by a vote of 293 to 129.

I will continue my efforts in Congress to protect our freedoms. Please keep me advised of any federal matters on which I may be of assistance.


Sincerely,
Lloyd Doggett

No comments: